Welcoming words

select language:
english   danish   german

News

WCTID Success Story
Read about the successful World Climate Teach-In Day in Ébolowa, Cameroon in english or french.

World Climate Teach-In Day 2010 a Success
Universities and schools from a total of 88 countries downloaded climate lectures provided by this year's World Climate Teach-In Day. To date, more than 45,000 students have potentially been informed through the dedicated lectures which had been downloaded more than 1,600 times. Next year's Climate Teach-In Day will be dedicated to "Climate Change in Africa".

EU Climate Commisioner takes patronage
EU commissioner Mrs Conny Hedegaard is the patron of this years’ world climate teach-in day. Read more about what she has to say.

World Climate Teach-In Day poster
Free download of our World Climate Teach-In Day poster here!
Want a hardcopy for your school or university? Please e-mail a short note with your full contact data to: klima@ls.haw-hamburg.de

Achim Steiner asks students worldwide
UNEP's Achim Steiner asks students worldwide to look hard at the facts, look hard at the challenges but above all concentrate on the opportunities that climate change provides. Watch his video.

What is it all about?
The event will consist of lectures on different aspects of climate change prepared by reknowned experts in the field. The lectures will be prepared in a way that allows the contents to be understood by secondary school and university students. [More]

Live discussion with Dr Alcamo from UNEP

Dr. Joseph Alcamo is Chief Scientist of the United Nations Environment Programme. Dr. Alcamo is also co-founder and co-Chair of the Global Water System Project, set up by four international global change research organizations to promote a global perspective on water research and policy. Furthermore, he is on leave as Director of the Center for Environmental Systems Research at the University of Kassel, Germany and Professor of Environmental Systems Science and Engineering. Dr. Alcamo received his doctorate in Environmental Engineering from the University of California, Davis.

Dr. Alcamo has been working with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) for 14 years and has been a lead author of many of its reports, including the report published in 2000 in which the IPCC presented scenarios of future greenhouse gas emissions. He has published five books on global environmental themes and his fifth book, "Environmental Futures", has recently been published by Elsevier and is the first book-length description of the methodology of environmental scenario analysis. Joseph Alcamo has also been a leading author of the global report of the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment and UNEP`s recently published report on the worldwide environment entitled “A Global Environmental Outlook - 4.”

For his contributions to the development of global modeling, and for his applications of global models to policymaking, Alcamo was co-winner of the 1998 Max Planck Research Prize, an international prize jointly awarded by the Max-Planck Society and Humboldt Foundation of Germany. He was the first environmental scientist to win the award.

Nearing the end of the discussion: one final questionWalter Leal2010-06-04 12:54:36
Dear Prof. Alcamo. Many thanks for this very productive exchange and for sharing your knowledge with our world audience. I have a final question to you: it seems that the work leadig to AR5 will also pay a special attention to climate issues in Africa. Is this planned to be so?
Re: Nearing the end of the discussion: one final questionJoseph Alcamo2010-06-04 13:18:32
Comparisons of GCMs models Gamil Gamal2010-06-04 12:13:59
Dear/ Prof. Joseph Alcamo
I am very happy to write this note for you and will be happy if i meet you.
We found alarge amount of data from models so i make a comparisons between 5 models to choose the best.
I studied the future climate of the tropical Africa by comparison the output from five models from 1979 to 2000 to compare with (NCEP) reanalysis data of the ten stations which started from 1979. Outputs from five different AOGCMs are represented from the CSAG Data Dissemination Centre (DDC).

The five GCM models are: (GFDL) model, (GISS) model, Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, Germany (ECHAM5) model, (CSIRO-MK3_5) model and (CCCMA) model.

I choose ten stations in the tropical Africa as a case study for the comparison between observed and output results for five GCM models are:
Dakar- Tambacounda- Abidjan- Odienne- Ndjamena- Kinshasa- Jimma- Mandera- Zanzibar- Musoma.

From the previous comparisons i constructed that the CCCMA and ECHAM5 models have the least root mean square error (RMSE) and mean bias (MB) compare with the other models.
For this i used CCCMA and ECHAM5 models to show the future climate of the selected stations during the period 2046-2065, i found that the trends of maximum temperature are positive for Dakar and Musoma stations and stations (Tambacounda, Abidjan, Odienne, and Zanzibar) have negative trends. While for minimum temperature we found positive trends in Dakar, Ndjamina, Jimma, and Mandera, and the stations that have the negative trends are Tambacounda, Abidjan, Odienne, Kinshasa, Zanzibar and Musoma. Most of stations give a positive trend of precipitation except for two stations gave us a negative trend. The stations that have positive trend are Dakar, Tambacounda, Abidjan, Odienne, Ndjamina, Jimma, Mandera and Zanzibar. The stations that have the negative trends are Kinshasa, and Musoma.

Re: Comparisons of GCMs models Joseph Alcamo2010-06-04 12:45:32
Data issues related to water scarcityRajiv Kumar Chaturvedi2010-06-04 11:35:55
Dear Dr. Alcamo,

Many thanks for giving me this opportunity to interact with you. My question relates to water - your area of expertise. We all are aware how vital a commodity water is! still we know so less about its current availability and demand, leave alone the reasonable future projections. Most of water related data is simply non-existent, what is available is quiet old (Best of water related data goes back to 2007).

Let me elaborate my question with with an example, FAO database shows that per capita water availability in India is approximately 1614 m3/capita/yr (2007), which puts India, way above the water stressed level of 1000 m3/cap/yr, while in reality we know almost all cities in India suffer from water stress in dry seasons, including the Cherrapunji (the wettest of them all!). The problem is that we dont know how much of water stays back within the bounds of the country and how much is drained. Data on Water holding capacity (Aquifers + dams + lakes etc) of a country is not available, which is so vital for planning and ground action. Again regional level data points are as well not available. When it comes to water demand, the situation is even worse, there are many estimates and there is a doubt that anyone is getting the picture right. This uncertainty greatly hampers effective action on water related issues. Could this problem be remedied. Could you suggest me better data sources in public domain which i may be missing.
Re: Data issues related to water scarcitytayebeh Akbari-azirani2010-06-04 12:21:26
Re: Data issues related to water scarcityJoseph Alcamo2010-06-04 12:25:15
Carbon finance: friend or foe?Ethemcan Turhan2010-06-04 11:07:11
Dear Dr. Alcamo,

As per rising voice of climate justice movement, now more and more people are aware that polluting here and offsetting there is not a just solution neither for the people nor for the planet. Moreover we have seen crashes like in EU ETS Phase 1 and free give-away of carbon allowances, that basically makes it only profitable for businesses to keep up with BAU if not making it worse. However the policy makers, especially from Annex-1 countries still push on to include more carbon trading schemes in a global agreement (ie. REDD etc.).

What is your take on carbon finance and it's promise to save the planet?
Do you think we can simply adjust our system and keep on polluting or do we need a new way of thinking about the way we live by producing and consuming less?

Best,

Ethemcan Turhan
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
NeocolonialismSophie Bonnard2010-06-04 11:02:26
Dear Dr Alcamo,

What would you answer to people accusing actions taken on climate change of being part of a new form of neocolonialism.

Sophie Bonnard
Chinas Position in the UN Climate negotiationsGermar Dahms2010-06-04 11:01:07
Dear Dr. Alcamo

Is there any reasonable explanation why China opposes an international climate agreement? I simply don't understand their position in the UN climate negotiations.

With kindest regards

Germar Dahms
Climate change "strategy" of Turkey: becoming a part of the problem!Arif Cem Gundogan2010-06-04 09:33:48
Do you think "clean coal" technology and using local coal resources can be a good strategy for tackling climate change problem? Ministry of Environment and Foresty of Turkey thinks that this will help. It was written in the draft strategy document which was distributed during COP15.
Agriculture and climate changeSophie Bonnard2010-06-04 09:11:13
Dear Dr Alcamo,

What is meant by sustainable agriculture with regard to climate change mitigation and adaptation?

What do you think of the fact that there seems to be a strong reluctance among the politic community to take measures in order to reduce agricultural CO2 emissions?

Looking forward to your reply,

Sophie Bonnard

Re: Agriculture and climate changeJoseph Alcamo2010-06-04 11:48:38
Live Discussion - meet UNEP's Chief Scientist Dr Joseph Alcamo Franziska Mannke2010-06-03 10:09:30
Dear participant –

We are very happy to present to you a live online discussion with UNEP’s Chief Scientist Dr Joseph Alcamo who will join us on June 4 from 10-12 (UK time, UTC) on this website!

Post your questions here - we look forward to an exciting discussion.

Best regards -
your World Climate Teach-In Day Team
Precision of models and scenarios in global integrated assessments?Franziska Mannke2010-06-03 11:27:07
Re: Precision of models and scenarios in global integrated assessments?Joseph Alcamo2010-06-04 10:55:34
Climate change impacts on the world’s ecosystems?Natalie Fischer2010-06-03 11:31:02
Re: Climate change impacts on the world’s ecosystems?Joseph Alcamo2010-06-04 11:00:46
Re: Re: Climate change impacts on the world’s ecosystems?Monica Stein2010-06-04 12:12:13
Re: Re: Re: Climate change impacts on the world’s ecosystems?Joseph Alcamo2010-06-04 13:02:52
Communicating climate change to schools and universities?Franziska Mannke2010-06-03 11:40:05
Re: Communicating climate change to schools and universities?Brigitte Hines2010-06-04 10:53:19
Re: Communicating climate change to schools and universities?Joseph Alcamo2010-06-04 11:19:14
Re: Communicating climate change to schools and universities?Brigitte Hines2010-06-04 11:37:23
What hinders policy makers to implement environmental legislation?Franziska Mannke2010-06-03 17:18:38
3 questionsfrom PhD student - paleoclimatology and climate change, research perspectivesFranziska Mannke2010-06-03 17:19:48
How important are climate-proof water projects?Franziska Mannke2010-06-04 07:44:43
Climate Change and HealthFranziska Mannke2010-06-04 08:04:59
World Bank's role in Climate FinanceNatalie Fischer2010-06-04 09:24:05